Protagonist is a women-owned, women-led small business and pioneer in narrative research, analysis, and strategy. We help our clients harness the power of narratives by illuminating the stories that matter to their mission, analyzing the influences and influencers that are driving those narratives, and developing strategies for navigating and shaping those narrative landscapes. Over the past decade, we have developed a line of state-of-the-art narrative products that focus on the deep, enduring stories that define a population’s identity, shape their perspectives, and describe their beliefs. Our Narrative Analytics® technology platform is relied on by dozens of the world’s leading corporations, government agencies, and nonprofits to identify, quantify, and track narratives in online conversations. We have team members in Washington, DC, San Francisco, Chicago, and many points in between.
You’re a unicorn -- one of those rare people who is comfortable in both quantitative and qualitative domains. You are able to conduct meaningful research into “soft” issues like beliefs, perceptions, and identity--and can back it up with “hard” data. You can write warm, engaging prose--and back up your arguments persuasively with cold, hard facts. You have a passion for understanding the deeply held stories--the narratives--that animate audiences and shape a community's beliefs, attitudes, and preferences. In this role, you will draw on your deep sociocultural research experience, excellent writing and copy editing abilities, and strong project management skills
to research and produce outstanding analytic products on tight deadlines for demanding customers.
The Analyst will support the development of narrative products, undertaking sociocultural research to surface and describe the narratives that drive a variety of global populations and audiences. Specific responsibilities include:
- Conduct qualitative research on various global populations to understand the narratives that shape their beliefs, perceptions and views of the world;
- Develop and analyze narrative-rich online data sets to address customer needs;
- Articulate the narratives of populations of interest, and write reports that clearly and succinctly convey the team’s findings;
- Collaborate with teammates to identify and visualize insights that answer key client questions;
- Implement research plans for assigned projects, based on discussions with teammates.
- Must be able to work on US Government contracts that require US citizenship
- Must be eligible to obtain a US Government security clearance; existing security clearance (SECRET or higher) strongly preferred
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations, sociology, or a related field; postgraduate degree preferred
- Experience conducting qualitative sociocultural research using a variety of techniques to develop insights
- Data skills, with an understanding of how to apply data to support research products
- Experience with Excel in particular advanced formula creation, data cleaning, pivot tables, and other necessary functions
- Outstanding writing and editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to communicate complex problems with clarity
- Able to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, under pressure, with outstanding attention to detail
- Love working in a fast-paced, startup environment full of complexity, ambiguity and change
- Foreign language proficiency a plus
Protagonist is a values-driven company that is committed to doing meaningful work for organizations we respect. We are deeply committed to centering racial and gender justice in the work we produce, in our engagement with clients, and in our internal operations. We believe in the promise of democratic governance and the responsibility of civic participation, and are building a culture that supports these commitments.