Protagonist is a women-owned, women-led small business and pioneer in narrative research, analysis, and strategy. We help our clients harness the power of narratives by illuminating the stories that matter to their mission, analyzing the influences and influencers that are driving those narratives, and developing strategies for navigating and shaping those narrative landscapes. Over the past decade, we have developed a line of state-of-the-art narrative products that focus on the deep, enduring stories that define a population’s identity, shape their perspectives, and describe their beliefs. Our Narrative Analytics® technology platform is relied on by dozens of the world’s leading corporations, government agencies, and nonprofits to identify, quantify, and track narratives in online conversations. We have team members in Washington, DC, San Francisco, Chicago, and many points in between.
The Protagonist Analyst has a passion for understanding the deeply held beliefs -- the narratives -- that drive critical issues and unleashing the power of big data to drive strategic decisions. Our Analysts support the continued development of our Narrative Analytics offering, finding and isolating the online media conversations that matter and curating powerful datasets that will drive success for our customers. You are deeply data-savvy, have outstanding analytical skills, and are creative and enthusiastic about using technology, data, and the power of narratives to solve complex problems. You have a strong backing in data analysis. Attention to detail and comfort with ambiguity are key attributes.
The Analyst takes an active role in our projects, from scoping datasets to conducting analysis. The Analyst will be expected to collaborate across teams on both client deliverables and internal process priorities. Specific responsibilities include:
Work with a range of content vendors and deploy a variety of scrapers, scripts, and other tools to develop narrative-rich data sets to address customer needs
Support our analytics approach to data and collaborate closely with Client Solutions teammates to deliver Narrative Analytics to our customers
Implement research plans for assigned projects, based on discussions with teammates
Collaborate with teammates to identify and visualize insights that answer key client questions
- Must be able to work on US Government contracts that require US citizenship
- Experience with R, STATA, Python, SQL, or another statistical programming language
- Experience with Excel in particular advanced formula creation, data cleaning, pivot tables, and other necessary functions
- Familiar with a range of data science concepts (such as natural language processing, content similarity analysis, social network analysis, and sentiment analysis)
- Strong data skills, with an understanding of how to apply data to communications, marketing, and business strategy problems
- Course work in a quantitative field or with heavy quantitative bent, such as business, marketing, or economics, and/or a focus in communications and related fields a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills; able to communicate complex data problems with clarity
- Able to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, under pressure, with outstanding attention to detail
- Love working in a fast-paced, startup environment full of complexity, ambiguity and change
Protagonist is a values-driven company that is committed to doing meaningful work for organizations we respect. We are deeply committed to centering racial and gender justice in the work we produce, in our engagement with clients, and in our internal operations. We believe in the promise of democratic governance and the responsibility of civic participation, and are building a culture that supports these commitments.